Catfish are a type of freshwater fish that are typically found in rivers and lakes, and they are often kept in aquariums. They have a flat body with a long tail, and their skin is covered in scales. They are known for their whiskers, which they use to help them find food. While they are typically bottom-dwellers, some species can be found swimming in the middle or top of the water column.
Catfish are diverse group of fish and they come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Some can grow to a very large size, and not all species are suitable for aquariums. However, there are also many aquarium catfish species that do not grow too large and can be kept in a fish tank. These fish are scavengers and help to keep the aquarium clean by eating leftover food and waste. Some popular aquarium catfish include plecos, corydoras, and a variety of other catfish species.
Plecostomus, also known as plecos, are a type of catfish with sucker-like mouth that they use to attach to rocks and other surfaces. There are over 150 species of plecos, and many of them are kept in aquariums. They come in various shapes and colors, and many of them are popular as aquarium fish due to their scavenging habits and their ability to help keep the tank clean.
- Butterfly Pleco: Care, Size, Breeding & More
- Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps): Ultimate Care Guide
- Leopard Frog Pleco (L134): Care, Size, Breeding & Tank Size
- Snowball Pleco (Hypancistrus inspector, L102): Care Guide
- Sultan Pleco (L264): Care, Diet, Size, Breeding & Tank Size
- Rubber Lip Pleco (L146): Care, Size, Temperature & Food
- Clown Pleco: Care, Tank Mates, Size, Tank Size & Food
- Candy Striped Pleco (Peckoltia vittata): Ultimate Care Guide
- Royal Pleco (Panaque nigrolineatus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Vampire Pleco / Galaxy Pleco (Leporacanthicus Galaxias): Guide
- Zebra Pleco (Hypancistrus zebra): Ultimate Care Guide
- Common Pleco (Hypostomus Plecostomus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Blue Eyed Pleco (Panaque cochliodon): Ultimate Care Guide
- Blue Phantom Pleco (Hemiancistrus sp. L128): Ultimate Care Guide
- Peppermint Pleco (Parancistrus nudiventris, L031): Ultimate Care Guide
- Leopard Cactus Pleco Care Guide (Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus L114)
- Flash Pleco Care Guide (Panaqolus albivermis L204)
- Mango Pleco (Baryancistrus chrysolomus, L047): Ultimate Guide
- Green Dragon Pleco (Ancistrus sp.): Ultimate Care Guide
- Queen Arabesque Pleco L260 (Hypancistrus sp.): Ultimate Guide
- L397 Pleco (Alenquer Tiger Pleco): Ultimate Care Guide
- Pleco Breeding: How to Breed Plecostomus
- Rhino Pleco (Pterygoplichthys scrophus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Typhoon Pleco (Pseudacanthicus sp. “Typhoon” LDA105): Ultimate Care Guide
- Super Red Pleco: Ultimate Care Guide
- Pitbull Pleco (LDA025 Parotocinclus Jumbo): Ultimate Care Guide
- L239 Pleco (Blue Panaque Pleco): Ultimate Care Guide
- L236 Pleco (Super White Pleco): Ultimate Care Guide
- Orange Seam Pleco (L106 Hemiancistrus guahiborum): Ultimate Care Guide
- Pleco Tank Mates: What Fish Can Pleco Live With?
- Do Plecos Eat Algae? – Guide to Plecos and Algae in Aquarium
- King Tiger Pleco (L333 Hypancistrus sp.): Ultimate Care Guide
- Best Pleco Cave: The Ultimate Pleco Cave Guide
- Pleco Diet & Feeding Guide: What do Plecos Eat?
- Pleco Care: How to Care for Plecostomus
- Pleco Size Chart: Small Plecos, Large Plecos, & More
- Best Pleco Food: What is the Best Food for Plecos?
- Pleco Tank Size: How Big of a Tank do Plecos Need?
- Adonis Pleco (Acanthicus Adonis): Ultimate Care Guide
- Sunshine Pleco (Scobinancistrus aureatus): Ultimate Care
Corydoras are a member of the catfish family and are known for their unique barbels, or whiskers, on their faces. Corydoras are typically bottom-dwellers and are often found in schools. They are peaceful fish and do well in community tanks. Corydoras are omnivorous and will eat a variety of foods, including pellets, flakes, and live foods.
- Salt and Pepper Corydoras: Care, Size, Lifespan & Breeding
- Pygmy Corydoras Care: Food, Breeding, Size & More
- Julii Cory (Corydoras julii): Ultimate Care Guide
- Sterbai Cory (Corydora Sterbai): Ultimate Care Guide
- Emerald Cory Catfish (Corydoras splendens): Ultimate Care Guide
- Bronze Corydoras (Corydoras aeneus): Ultimate Care Guide
Other Aquarium Catfish Species
- Red Tail Catfish (Phractocephalus Hemioliopterus): Care Guide
- Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi): Care Guide
- Twig Catfish (Farlowella vittata): Ultimate Care Guide
- Striped Raphael Catfish (Platydoras Armatulus): Care Guide
- Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Hoplo Catfish (Megalechis thoracata): Ultimate Care Guide
- Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni): Ultimate Care Guide
- Sun Catfish (Horabagrus Brachysoma): Ultimate Care Guide
- Pictus Catfish (Pimelodus Pictus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Featherfin Catfish (Synodontis Euptera): Ultimate Care Guide
- Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis Nigriventris): Ultimate Care Guide
- Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus vitreolus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Cuckoo Catfish (Synodontis Multipunctatus): Ultimate Care Guide
- Otocinclus Catfish: Ultimate Care Guide
- Whiptail Catfish: Types and Care Guide